Vegan Mushroom Cottage PieCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
1 Baking Potato
2 Sweet Potatoes
300g Chestnut Mushrooms
1 bunch of chives
10g Panko Breadcrumbs
1 small carton of tomato passata
10g red wine stock paste
15g mushroom broth paste
Olive oil (1 tbsp)
20g plant-based spread
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7. Boil a full kettle of water. Peel the potato and chop into 2cm chunks. Peel the sweet potato and chop into 1cm chunks. Pour the boiled water into a saucepan with ½ tsp salt and heat on high. Once boiling, add the potato and sweet potato, then simmer until soft, 12 mins.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the chestnut mushrooms into a small pieces (use a food processor if you have one). Peel and finely chop the garlic (or use a garlic press). Trim the root and the dark green leafy part from the leek, halve lengthways, then thinly slice. Roughly chop the chives. In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, half of the chives and 1tbsp olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place a large frying pan on medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. When hot, add the chestnut mushrooms and leek and cook until softened, 3 mins. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 min. Pour in the passata, red wine stock and mushroom broth paste. Stir to dissolve the stock, then simmer until thickened, 5 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the potatoes have finished cooking, drain in a colander and return to the pan. Add 20g plant-based spread, then mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a deep ovenproof dish (or use two for easier serving). Top with the mash, ensuring it covers the mixture. Run a fork across the mash to make lines across the top, then sprinkle with the herby breadcrumbs. Bake on the top shelf, 12 mins.
- Wash the saucepan used for the potatoes. When the pie has 5 mins remaining, boil a half-full kettle. Pour the boiled water into the saucepan used for the potato with ¼ tsp salt and heat on high. When boiling, add the peas to the water and cook for 3 mins. Drain in a colander and return to the pan. Drizzle with oil and, if you’d like to, season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the vegan mushroom cottage pie between your plates. Serve with the peas and sprinkle with the remaining chives.
- For more protein, and to make a larger pie, try adding cooked lentils to the mushroom mixture.