Overcoming Bias : Opinion Warning Signs
Signs that your opinions function more to signal loyalty and ability than to estimate truth.
Some great ones here, and they pretty much sum up conversations with religious people:
- You have little interest in getting clear on what exactly is the position being argued.
- You find it easy to conclude that those who disagree with you are insincere or stupid.
- You are reluctant to change your publicly stated positions in response to new info.
- You care more about consistency between your beliefs than about belief accuracy.
- Your opinion doesn’t much change after talking with smart folks who know more.
- You find it hard to list weak points and counter-arguments on your positions.